Our Mission is to provide Community Enrichment through the Arts
1) to maintain and enhance the restored Capitol theatre building.
2) to provide a facility for the visual and performing arts.
3) to provide leadership in the performing arts.
4) to serve as a performing arts resource and referral facility for the community.
5) to provide instruction and opportunity to practice theatre arts and related skills.
With every Season Series we are thrilled to present a new selection of professional touring artists spanning a range of artistic genres. The Capitol Theatre features the best in live theatre, classical ballet and contemporary dance theatre, classical and contemporary music, comedy and a variety of other performances. Our highly successful Capitol Kids Series continues annually with up to six performances for youth and families. In keeping with our philosophy of presenting affordable, diverse, high quality entertainment we offer great discounts for Season Packages.
Executive Director – Stephanie Fischer
Technical Director – Terry Brennan
Box Office Manager – Allison Girvan
Asst Technical Director – Olivia Bogaard
Marketing – Sage Cowan
Box Office Assistant – Kyla Hurst
Custodian – Sage Cowan
Bookkeeper – Ian Wood
Volunteer Team Leaders
Mary Lou Oswald
Our Board of Directors
President / Chair – Claire Hallam
Vice Chair – Scott Pentecost
Treasurer – Nan Carson
Secretary – Heather Shippit
Director – Susan Kurtz
Director – Gregory Mackenzie
Director – Lisa Trimboli Ramsay
Director – Alex Pillon
Director – Lyndsay Clague
To Contact the Board of Directors, send email to board at capitoltheatre dot ca
All performances presented as part of the Capitol Season Series and The Capitol Kids Series are selected with you in mind. As we develop our program, we hope to meet your unique tastes. We hope you will be delighted with our season’s selection and embrace live performances as you relax into a world of imagination and entertainment.
The Board of Directors of the Capitol Theatre Restoration Society encourages your involvement in our society. Please also become a member of the Capitol Theatre where your voice can be heard at our Annual General Meetings.
Affordable, diverse, high quality entertainment
The Capitol Theatre
Now & Then
Nelson was the hub of western transportation at the turn of the century. It was the largest city between Vancouver and Winnipeg. The railways hauled goods from the United States, brought coal for the mining smelters, and hauled away lumber to markets. Stern wheelers carried goods and people to remote townsites and mines. Boris Karloff began his performing career at the Nelson Opera House.
Wild miners had given way to settled folks as the mines and smelters closed and growth leveled out. Like all cities, Nelson desired the celluloid culture of the cinema. The glamour and glitter of the Capitol Theatre emerged from the humdrum earthy Central Garage which had been built earlier in 1924 on Victoria Street. In March of 1927, Mr. A.H. Green, a prominent Nelson contractor, commissioned the Vancouver firm of Townley & Matheson to design a theatre for him. Work began in April, and on September the 5th, 1927, the Capitol Theatre officially opened at a cost of $75,000. Mayor J.A. McDonald presided over the opening ceremonies, lauding the theatre as one of the finest on the continent. Serving principally as a movie house in the Paramount chain of leased theatres, the Capitol’s early credits included Nelson’s first exposure to the “talkies” with Desert Song starring the dashing John Boles. Interspersed in the schedule were live dramatic performances of traveling companies and local groups including Nelson Little Theatre and the Rossland Light Opera Players. The Rossland company traveled with its cast and props in a special train. Actors had to use a nearby barber shop for costume changes because of the limited wing space and absence of dressing rooms.
This was the hey-day of the cinema. Crowds flocked to see nightly shows complemented by live acts to introduce the movies. The decrepit old Opera House burned down in 1935 and A.H. Green built the 1000 seat Civic Theatre for live theatre.
During this era, the gradual demise of the Capitol Theatre began. Wartime meant less time, people and money for movies. Famous Players, holding the lease on both theatres opted to book the larger Civic Theatre for films. The Capitol ran films sporadically for a few years, with live acts, music shows, and the occasional rummage sale. By 1950 performances were reduced to 2 or 3 live acts per month. Repairs and necessary improvements were neglected and the building fell into disrepair. At its lowest point, the Capitol was used as an auction hall and furniture warehouse. An indication of the owner’s recognition of the situation occurred in 1963 when the seats were removed and the lobby, with its elaborate and distinctive hexagonal ticket booth and a real estate office built in its place. The roof leaked, and where the audience once thrilled to the wonder of cinema and theatre sat a dank pool of water.
Visionaries saw that Nelson could use a live theatre space. The dream of restoring the Capitol developed slowly and painfully with the Capitol Theatre Restoration Society’s formation in December 1982. The building was acquired by the City of Nelson in 1983 with funds raised locally and through Federal and Provincial job-funding programs. The grants were largely for labor, and community groups contributed materials. It was not until 1987 that a significant Expo 86 grant provided the necessary funding for engineering and supervisory personnel. The restoration project took off. The theatre was completely gutted. The state of disrepair proved more severe than originally anticipated, and eventually the roof trusses and roof had to be replaced.
On the evening of April 17th, 1988 when the house lights dimmed and an expectant hush stilled the audience, it had been 60 years since the first Gala Opening of Nelson’s Capitol Theatre. The original Art Deco theatre, even in its heyday, never looked grander. The rich crimson seats, carpets and curtains complemented the gold glow of the walls. Miraculously preserved and gently restored, the 6 illuminated side murals sparkled once more. The functional area of the stage had been increased with a new apron. The organ lofts, with their gilded facades, had been restored and made into useful balconies, ready for Romeo and Juliet. The new acoustic baffles made the theatre a musical paradise. The original proscenium arch had been restored to original Art Deco beauty by a European plasterer. Ceiling corbels, modeled in wood by a high school class, and a large original chandelier had recaptured some of the overhead charm of the old moviehouse. The acquisition of the adjacent Telus building became the long-needed lobby, art gallery, dressing rooms, Green Room, scene shop and Box Office. The Capitol Theatre had become an effective performing arts center. Sixty years after its first opening, Nelson’s Capitol Theatre had once more taken up the task of providing recreation and entertainment not only for Nelson, but for the Kootenay region. It was truly the product of a dream that grew.
Capitol Theatre celebrates its 30-year restoration anniversary.